Obesity is common these days but not normal, as it is the leading cause of more chronic diseases every day. Somewhere the busy schedule and the packed food of the market is the main reason for being overweight. It is always better to shed some extra pounds from the body to stay healthy. Detox drinks for weight loss can help you in your weight loss journey. In case you are looking for an expert to design your weight loss diet plan, Nutrition Meet can be your best guide.
Detox drinks are primarily designed to help detoxify toxins from the body. The human body is constantly flooded with toxins from unhealthy food, the environment, and even excessive chemical beauty products. Detox drinks can be made at home with the advice of some experts. These beverages contain natural ingredients such as ginger, peppermint, cranberry, and many other detoxifying fruits and vegetables.
Table of Contents
DIY Detox drinks for weight loss
1. Cucumber and mint Water
Mint Cucumber water is a rapid and easy way to add flavor to regular water by infusing the sliced cucumber and mint leaves. The cucumber has high water content and hence has fewer calories. Most importantly, it has cleansing properties that can remove old waste and chemical toxins, meaning one of the perfect ingredients for detox water. Moreover, it has anti-diabetic and lipid-lowering potentials as well .
The phenolic constituents of mint/peppermint and essential oils like menthol and menthone have significant antimicrobial, strong antioxidants, anti-tumor, and anti-allergic potential. In fact, some studies have also concluded the effect of mint on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) . Another benefit of mint is that it boosts the metabolism and helps in accelerating the process of weight loss.
- Wash the mint leaves and cucumber thoroughly and discard the stems of mint
- Crush the mint leaves 1/3rd water (helps in the release of flavor)
- Make thin slices of cucumber of any variety of your choice
- Add the slices of cucumber to the crushed mint water glass
- Fill the glass with a cold followed by a few pieces of ice (as per preference)
- Take a spoon and stir for a while and let it sit for an hour before consumption.
Hence, this detox drink of cucumber mint water has the potential to detox the toxins from your body and boost your immunity with relief from the most common irritating disease, IBS. Moreover, by drinking this detox concoction, you will boost your metabolism and consume fewer calories, promoting weight loss.
2. Apple and cinnamon water
Have you forgotten the famous saying, “One apple a day keeps a doctor away?” No, right hence it says all; still, the apple is a versatile fruit that can help you decrease lipid oxidation, lower cholesterol, and reduce the risk of diabetes, asthma, cardiovascular disease, etc.  The triterpenoids such as ursolic acid present in the apple has potential to cause weight loss by suppressing triglycerides accumulation in the blood .
- Wash the green apple thoroughly
- Finely slice the apple
- To a glass of water, add cinnamon stick and sliced apple
- Give it a stir
- Refrigerate it for 6 to 7 hours (let the flavors infuse in water)
- After infusion, if you like, you may add a few drops of pure honey
- Add ice cubes if you like chilled, or it may be served as it is.
The apple cinnamon detox drink is highly effective for weight loss since both the ingredients have phytochemicals that promote weight loss and promotes heart health by suppressing triglycerides and preventing diabetes.
3. Lemon and ginger water
Ginger and lemon are the common ingredients in the kitchen in most parts of the world, thus readily available. The availability of ginger is the added benefit; constituents like chrysin enhance lipid metabolism, and Galangin produces anti-obesity effects through its hypolipidemic and antioxidant activities [7, 8, 9]. This potential of ginger was also proved by the trial where the group having ginger water could see a lowering in body weight gain .
We all know Lemon as a rich source of vitamin C, a low-calorie diet, and the role of its polyphenols in lowering body weight, especially diet-induced obesity, fat pad accumulation, insulin resistance, hyperglycemia, and hyperlipidemia .
- Take care that you are choosing fresh raw ingredients, i.e., lemon and ginger. Please do not prefer ground ginger.
- Wash and peel the ginger
- There are two ways either you finally slice the ginger or grate it (the flavor will be strong in the case of grated one)
- Add ginger and boiling water to a cup (extraction of flavor), and let it rest.
- Upon cooling, add lemon juice as per your taste.
- You may also add honey for taste enhancement and other nutritional value
- Add a few pieces of ice, and enjoy a tasty, chilled detox drink
4. Pineapple and cabbage juice
The pineapple and cabbage juice detox drinks also are anti-obesity candidates, where pineapple juice has the potential to decrease lipogenesis (the process of triglyceride synthesis) and increase lipolysis (the breakdown of fats and other lipids). Therefore, it can promote weight loss, especially with the breakdown of fat deposits .
On the other hand, cabbage is low in calories and has an antioxidant defense that is as potent as protecting the liver and kidney from lead-induced oxidative damage .
- Wash cabbage and pineapple and roughly chop them
- You have two choices
- Either blend the roughly chopped cabbage in the blender firstly at low speed for 1-2 min and then at high speed. And strain the liquid with the help of a strainer and store it in an airtight jar in the fridge.
- Or use the juicer for extraction of juice and store it in freeze same way.
- Similarly, extract the juice of pineapple as well through the method of your choice.
- Mix the juices 1:1 proportion and serve with pieces of ice.
5. Hibiscus ginger tea
Herbs and flower tea have been drunk since ancient times, undoubtedly for their health benefits and potential to keep us healthy. One such flower which is loaded with health benefits is hibiscus.
According to research, Hibiscus Ginger tea detox has the potential to decrease triglycerides, LDL, VLDL, and overall total cholesterol and the ability to protect against oxidative stress; moreover, strong protective effects against obesity .
- Take half a cup of dried hibiscus or a hibiscus tea bag.
- To a pot, add water and bring it to a boil on a high flame
- Add dried hibiscus flowers or tea bags
- While the tea steeps, crush the ginger and add it to the tea
- Let it boil for a while
- Upon boiling, strain the tea and drink it lukewarm or refrigerate it.
- Enjoy another tasty drink.
6. Cinnamon and honey detox water
Cinnamon and honey detox water is one of a kind that can be used as both food and medicine. Above, we have seen the anti-obesity potential of cinnamon, but her talking about honey, I must say it’s a source of energy which, though high in calories, is a part of weight loss diet plans.
Mainly because of the laxative effects, which help in the rapid detoxification of the water and waste from the body, directly reducing the body’s water content. Another reason for the promotion of weight loss is that honey has properties that accelerate lipolysis while preventing lipogenesis .
- In a pot, add 2 cups; boil the water and add cinnamon sticks
- Cover it with a lid and wait till the half cup of water evaporates and the cinnamon flavor and nutrients are infused in the water.
- Put off the flame and let it cool.
- Add one tablespoon of honey to the cinnamon water and stir nicely to dissolve the honey properly.
- Drink on an empty stomach.
7. Cumin water for weight loss
Cumin is the common ingredient used for sizzling in Indian curries; however, one thing not everyone knows is that cumin water detox, if drank every morning, may reduce the fasting total cholesterol, including bad cholesterols, and boost good cholesterols that is HDL, reduce the waist circumference, BMI, and fat mass percentage .
This is supported by a trial conducted among 78 overweight subjects for eight weeks showed a significant beneficial effect on weight, BMI, and insulin metabolism .
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pot and let it boil.
- Add one tablespoon of cumin seeds into boiling water.
- Let it boil till the 2 cups are reduced to 1 cup.
- Strain it and drink it lukewarm
8. Green tea
Green tea is a detox pack that needs no introduction, thanks to commercial advertisements trying to sell your brand. Regardless of the brand, green tea may have little direct contribution to weight loss and no significant maintenance. Still, studies show that regularly adding green tea to your diet may increase your metabolism, which may help you burn off extra calories each day.
- Take a saucepan and boil the water
- Once the water starts boiling, turn off the flame
- Add one tablespoon of green tea or one tea bag
- Cover and let the tea infuse in the water
- Strain the green tea into the cup
- Drink it
Does Green tea help in weight loss
Don’t expect drastic weight loss just by drinking green tea. As I mentioned, it boosts metabolism, so drinking green tea and getting some physical activity can help burn an extra 100 to 120 calories per day, which will aid in weight loss.
Can a nutritionist help me lose weight?
Nutritionists specialize in designing diet plans as per the nutritional value and individual health profile. And there have been large-scale studies that found that a certified nutritionist is better at helping with weight loss. Our recommendation for the best nutritionist, especially for women, is Sobin S. Gupta, a nutritionist in Goa, India.
How to lose belly fat?
Avoiding processed and junk food can be a great start to shed extra belly fat, and initially, you can start by following the listed detox for the result in the following few weeks.